Saturday, January 2, 2010

Thinking about God

She'd taken the discipline like a big girl.
She understood the reason for it;
disobedience had no excuse,
and she understood.

We talked about obedience, and discussed forgiveness,
she cried a little, and I carried out the spanking.
We prayed.
"Help us, Father, to obey the first time, cheerfully,
and well."

I held her tight, snuggled her up, restoring our closeness,
then she said:

"I'm just going to sit here a minute and think about God."

She huddled under that blanket, still.
Thinking.
A quiet moment passed,
receiver of discipline, thinking about God.
Giver of discipline, thinking about God.

A kiss, and she was down, gone on,
all restored, forgiven and back to play,
confident that her next encounter with obedience would be different.

She'd been still.
She'd thought about Him.
And I had too, led to the throne of forgiveness
by the little one who I was trying to teach the way.

"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10
"All discipline for the moment seems to be sorrowful;
yet to those who have been trained by it,
afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness."
Hebrews 12:11

No comments:

Post a Comment