Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Reluctant Soldier

I know that I am a soldier.

I mean, I have been singing about it since Sunday School at age 3, "I'm in the Lord's Army...", zooming over the enemy, riding in the Calvary. I have read and reread the Scriptures about the armor, and fighting the good fight. And there are days that I wake up ready to be on the front lines, the Sword of the Spirit in my hand and in my mouth and in my mind.

But then there are the other days. The days that I am a reluctant soldier, a weary infantryman and even at times, a wounded one. The days that just picking up my Sword feels awfully difficult and my battle-weary mind can't seem to wrap around the truths that I need to "gird up my loins." When making breakfast for 4 children seems like an all out war, I can't even begin to consider what the assault will be like when we open up our books for school.

These are the days that I am so glad, so blessed, so rescued, by the fact that this is not a war of one, and I am not standing alone facing an enemy, who, though I know he is defeated, I sometimes allow to convince me that he is not. These days that being in the Lord's Army overwhelms me are the days that our Commander In Chief sends other soldiers to come beside me, to hold my hand, or behind me, to lift me up, or in front of me, for me to follow their example. When I see others who are enlisted and facing battles so much greater than mine, yet are walking in victory and truth as they fix their eyes on the Prize. I shake off my failure, my doubt, my laziness, and I am encouraged to stand beside them , to join the brethern, the band of warriors and to walk out this day living by the Orders I've been given and driven by Love, responding to Love, warring for Love.

Thank you, fellow soldiers- you know who you are! Mothers, fathers, friends, bloggers, homeschooling moms, grocery check-out clerks, mail deliverers, lawn maintainers. Keep the faith, fight the good fight, put on your armor and think of the others just like you that you have lifted up by your example, and the of the One who did not despair but keep His eyes on the joy set before Him. On to the battle!

No comments:

Post a Comment